This healthy pumpkin smoothie tastes just like pumpkin pie in a glass! It's the perfect blend of pumpkin, festive spices and sweetness. Make this smoothie for breakfast, lunch or dessert!
If you like pumpkin pie, there is a very good chance that you will LOVE this smoothie! It is a healthy alternative to eating a slice of pumpkin pie. This smoothie tastes very similar to pumpkin pie and is healthy way to satisfy cravings. The smoothie is sweetened with bananas, helping to keep it lower in calories and fat.
Looking for more smoothies? Check out this Pina Colada Smoothie or Green Tea Smoothie! And if you are really looking for another healthy alternative, pair this smoothie with these popular baked boneless wings!
Note: There are links on this site that are "affiliate links". This means that I may receive a small commission if you subscribe or purchase something through the links provided.
Reasons To Love This Smoothie
- This is a healthy pumpkin flavored treat! The smoothie is sweetened with bananas, which provide a natural sweetener. You do not have to add any extra sugar.
- The pumpkin smoothie is easy to make! It requires only 6 ingredients!
- This is a great way to use up leftover pumpkin!
This delicious and healthy smoothie requires only 6 ingredients. You may already have most of these items on hand.
- Pumpkin Puree: Use only ½ cup for 1 serving of smoothie. Refrigerate the leftovers if you’re planning to make more smoothies or pumpkin goodies. The pumpkin should last 3-4 days in the refrigerator if placed in an airtight container.
- Banana: use a very ripe banana: this creates sweetness without having to add any extra sugar. Freeze the banana the night before making the smoothie.
- Almond Milk: vanilla almond milk. Usually, I go for the unsweetened type, but this time I used the regular vanilla flavor for a hint of added sweetness.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: adds the perfect amount of pumpkin pie flavor
- Cinnamon: adds a festive flavor to the smoothie
How to Make a Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
Add the pumpkin, banana, almond milk, ice and spices into a blender. Blend on high until smooth and no large pieces remain. Serve cold!
Order to Add the Ingredients
The order of adding the liquid to the blender is actually important for this smoothie. Add the liquid closest to the blender blade to help prevent the frozen banana from getting stuck.
- Upright Blender (such as this one): Add the liquid first, then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Blender where you screw on the top last (similar to this blender): add all ingredients first, then add the liquid to the top.
Once the liquid is added, add in your pumpkin, banana, spices and ice. Blend away and serve immediately. This smoothie is very easy to make!
- Use a frozen banana and slice into pieces before adding to the blender. Using a frozen banana cuts down on the amount of ice that is needed.
- Measure out your ice cubes. This is important to avoid getting too much or the smoothie will not have much flavor
- This recipe can be double and tripled if wanting to make larger servings. I recommend using a large blender that has a strong motor.
- If your blender does not have as powerful of a motor, blend all ingredients first and then add the ice.
Smoothie Meal Prep
This is a great smoothie for meal prep! Throw all ingredients except for the banana and ice into the blender the night before. The next morning, add your ice and banana and blend away.
This high-speed blender is a great option for making smoothies on the go because the blending container is the same container you take with you!
How to Make this a Protein Shake
Here's some ways to add in additional protein to make this a pumpkin pie protein shake:
- Add 1 scoop of your favorite vanilla protein powder (adds 10-15 grams protein depending on the brand)
- Add ½ cup of vanilla Greek yogurt (adds 10 grams protein depending on brand)
- Replace the almond milk with skim milk (adds 9 grams protein)
This healthy pumpkin smoothie is loaded with pumpkin! One benefit of this smoothie vs. pumpkin goodies is that you get a ½ cup worth of pumpkin in one serving. Most other pumpkin treats only have a ½ cup - 1 cup TOTAL of pumpkin for the entire recipe.
Pumpkin Health Benefits
Canned pumpkin is a low-calorie food option with many nutritional benefits. ½ cup of pumpkin is only 50 calories, which makes it a great addition to smoothies, or even in cooking to add moisture, such as to a bread or chili!
Pumpkin is loaded with Vitamin A. ½ cup provides 250% of your daily needs. Some studies have found that this may help improve vision.
Pumpkin also has 3 g fiber per ½ cup. This is a soluble fiber that aids in digestion.
Need more convincing the pumpkin is a nutritional superstar? Check out this article on pumpkin.
Pumpkin Pie Vs. Pumpkin Pie Smoothie Nutrition
|Pumpkin Pie||Pumpkin Smoothie|
*adding protein powder adds an extra ~ 100 calories/15 g pro
- High Power Blender or Food Processor: Having a strong blender will help create an even consistency of the smoothie. A food processor can also be used if you do not have a blender.
- Smoothie Cup: This insulated tumbler is perfect for taking your smoothie on the go! And it claims it can keep your drink cold for up to 18 hours with no sweating!
More Fall Favorites
Check out some of my favorite fall goodies!
Healthy Pumpkin Smoothie
- 1 blender
- 1 cup almond milk vanilla
- ½ cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 banana frozen
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- Slice the frozen banana into 1 inch slices.
- Combine the almond milk, banana, pumpkin puree, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice in a blender.
- Blend until smooth. Serve immediately!
- Banana should be ripe to give the smoothie a sweet flavor.
- Use a frozen banana so that you do not have to use ice cubes to get a frozen smoothie texture.
- Vanilla almond milk is recommended over the unsweetened almond milk.
- Protein powder: add 1 scoop of vanilla flavored protein powder for extra protein
- Honey: add 1 tablespoon of honey for added sweetness
- Increase the amount of cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice if desired
Awesome! I love fall with pumpkin drinks. This recipe looks very tasty! Thank you!
This is my favorite smoothie! Sooo good.
It’s the best!