This easy gluten free dairy free banana is one of my favorites! The banana bread is moist and tender and has the perfect banana flavor. It tastes just like normal bread!
This banana bread recipe is one of my all-time favorite recipes! It requires just a couple of ingredient swaps to make it dairy-free and gluten-free.
The recipe also incorporates applesauce as a sweetener, to make it a low-sugar banana bread! Don’t worry though, I’ve included notes on how much sugar to use in case you want the real stuff!
Reasons to Love This
- This banana bread is gluten free and dairy free, however, you can’t even tell a difference! The texture and flavor are just the same as your normal piece of banana bread.
- The sugar content of this recipe has been reduced by adding applesauce. This is perfect for someone who wants a low sugar, healthy banana bread option!
- The bread is so easy to make! It takes less than 15 minutes to prep!
- This is the perfect way to use up old bananas!
Ingredients Needed & Notes
Bananas- select bananas that are very ripe- lots of brown spots! This will make for a sweeter, more tender bread.
Eggs- these should be at room temperature before using
Dairy Free Butter-a few of my favorite brands are listed below. Butter should be softened before using.
Applesauce- use unsweetened applesauce. If you don’t want to use applesauce, add an extra ½ cup of sugar-use granulated sugar for the best flavor.
Gluten Free Flour- I’ve listed a couple of my favorite brands below! It must be a 1:1 baking flour (this means you don't have to add any xanthan gum).
Baking Soda- make sure to use baking soda and not baking powder!
Cinnamon- the amount listed adds a very subtle hint of cinnamon flavor. Add more if you want a more robust cinnamon flavor.
How to Make the Best Gluten Free Dairy Free Banana Bread
Mash the bananas. The recipe takes about 3 medium bananas, however, I highly recommend measuring them for best results. You need 1 cup of mashed bananas.
Combine the wet ingredients. Mix the mashed bananas, eggs, butter, applesauce, and sugar together with an electric mixer.
Combine the dry ingredients. Add the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon to a separate bowl and mix.
Combine: Mix the wet and dry with a spoon. Don’t over-mix!
Spread into a greased loaf pan and bake!
Dairy Free Butter Options:
In order to make this dairy free, you must use dairy-free butter. Here are some of my favorite brands to use:
- Country Crock Plant Butter: this non-dairy butter has a rich buttery flavor, and provides a good texture. I recommend this brand.
- Earth Balance Buttery Spread: provides good texture
- Flora Salted Butter: a great non-dairy butter alternative
Gluten Free Flour Options:
- Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1:1 Baking Flour: This is my absolute favorite GF Flour to cook with. I use this in most recipes and consistently get good results. The flour is formulated for baking, so you don’t have to add extras like xanthan gum.
- King Arthur’s Gluten Free Measure for Measure Gluten Free Flour: this is another brand of GF flour that I’ve had good results with!
- Do not use coconut flour, rice flour or almond flours: these are not equivalent to baking flour and will require a different measurement for the recipe.
- Don’t over-mix! Combine the wet and dry ingredients separately, and then mix as little as possible when combining them together. This will affect the texture of the bread.
- Use ripe bananas. Bananas should have lots of brown spots on them! Here's a video to determine if your bananas are ripe!
- This can be made with regular butter if you do not need a dairy free option.
This banana bread has been made healthier by reducing the sugar content. Most traditional banana bread recipes have ½-¾ cup of sugar per loaf. Many gluten-free banana bread recipes are also high in sugar. This bread only has ¼ cup of sugar. The rest of the sweetness comes from the applesauce and bananas.
Feel free to add some additional ingredients to the bread. Here are some ideas:
- Chocolate chips
- White chocolate chips
- Chopped walnuts
- Chopped pecans
Gluten Free Dairy Free Banana Bread
- 1 Oven
- 1 Electric Mixer
- 1.5 cup Gluten Free Flour 1:1 preferred brand is Bob's Red Mill
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup applesauce unsweetened
- ½ cup dairy free butter
- 1 cup bananas mashed, about 3 large bananas, must be ripe
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x5 in bread pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Mix until combined. Set aside.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, add the applesauce, sugar, melted butter (allow it to cool).
- Mash the bananas until no large chunks remain. Measure the banana and add 1 cup (usually about 3 large bananas, however measure to ensure the bread turns out).
- Add the bananas to the sugar mixture.
- Use an electric handheld mixer and mix on medium speed until combined.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture.
- Use a large mixing spoon and mix until just combined. Do not over mix!
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan.
- Bake for 37-40 minutes, or until toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.