These healthy Mexican meatballs put a twist on your normal meatball! They are loaded with Mexican flavors, cheese and still are hint of spice. Pair these meatballs with salsa and Spanish rice for an excellent dinner option that can be prepared and cooked in less than 30 minutes.
Looking for more Mexican style appetizers? Check out my all time favorite: loaded mini pepper nachos!
If you like tacos, you will love these! These meatballs have all the flavors of delicious tacos, blended into a meatball! The meatballs can be eaten plain, or served as a wrap with a tortilla and cheese. They can also be eaten over Spanish rice.
With so many ways to eat these meatballs, you will love them and not get tired of them!
Mexican Meatballs Nutrition Information
These healthy Mexican meatballs are a great source of protein. 1 meatball contains 40 calories and 4 grams of protein.
These meatballs are made with 93% fat free ground turkey. This helps to keep the fat content low. The meatballs contain a small amount of cheese, which provides flavors and makes the meatball juicer.
A recommended serving size is 5 meatballs. This provides 20 grams of protein which is a good amount for a meal.
- Decrease the sodium content: use a taco seasoning that is reduced sodium or has no added sodium.
- Decrease the fat content: use 97% fat free ground turkey. The recipe calls for 93% fat free ground turkey which is still considered a leaner type of meat.
- Lower fat content: another way to decrease the amount of fat is to use a fat free or low fat shredded cheese. This will change the texture of the meatballs slightly.
- Serve it in a healthy way: Eating the meatballs as a salad or over quinoa is the best way to keep this as a healthy dish!
How To Serve the Mexican Meatballs
Mexican meatballs can be eaten as a meal, appetizer or snack. They can be eaten plain, or they can be paired with foods to make them a dinner. Here’s some favorite ways to serve them:
- Serve with Spanish Rice: Top with your favorite Mexican inspired toppings (cheese, salsa, cilantro)
- Serve over quinoa: Top a bowl of quinoa with meatballs, salsa, Greek yogurt (or sour cream) and cheese.
- Make a Mexican meatball salad: serve on top of a bed of lettuce, top with salsa.
- Create a Mexican tortilla wrap: place meatballs inside a corn or flour tortilla. Add cheese and salsa.
Ground Turkey: opt for 93% lean ground turkey. The leaner cut of turkey helps to make these a healthy meatball, yet still provides flavor and enough fat to keep the meatballs moist and juicy.
Shredded Cheese: use a Mexican cheddar cheese or sharp cheddar cheese.
Egg: The egg helps hold everything together and prevents the meatball from falling apart.
Jalapenos: adds a kick of spice. Seeds are optional, leave them in if you want a really spicy meatball.
Spices: taco seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder and cumin. These spices add flavor to the meatballs. Choose gluten free taco seasoning if gluten is of concern.
Let’s Make Some Meatballs!
- Combine the spices and taco seasoning together first. This helps make sure that everything is mixed evenly.
- Add the ground turkey and shredded cheese to the spices. Mix well. Sometimes the turkey can be difficult to mix. Consider using an electric mixer and blending on low speed. Another option is to place the meat and spices in a gallon zip lock bag, seal the bag, and mix from the outside of the bag with your hands.
- Scoop the meatballs onto a baking pan lined with parchment paper or foil (this makes clean up easier!). Bake in the oven and serve with Spanish rice, quinoa or on a tortilla with cheese and salsa!
Mexican meatballs taste great the next day or even a few days after cooking. The quality and texture of the meatball holds up really well when reheated, and you can’t even tell they are leftover!
Tip: Microwave the meatballs to reheat them. Avoid overheating or the center will dry out. Consider adding a couple teaspoons of water to the top of the meatballs when reheating them to help preserve the moistness.
The Mexican Meatballs can be stored in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. Place in an airtight container for best quality. These meatballs can also be frozen. Allow them to cool after cooking, place in a gallon size zip lock bag and freeze for 2-3 months.
Note: There are links on this site that are “affiliate links”. This means that I may receive a small commission if you subscribe or purchase something through the links provided.
Make the Perfect Meatball
Here’s my tip on how to make the perfectly shaped meatball. Use a small cookie scoop or ice cream scoop! I love using this scoop for the meatballs: the best part is I don’t have to get my hands dirty. The scoop also works for making perfectly round cookies. 🙂
Another tip to making a perfectly round meatball is to flip them halfway through baking. Use a pair of tongs and simply turn all of the meatballs over halfway though cooking.
More Easy Dinner Recipes
- 1 pound ground turkey 93% lean
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 medium jalapeno diced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and spray with pan release spray.
- Combine the taco seasoning, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, diced jalapeno and cheese in a medium mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Add the ground turkey, mix with the spiced until well combined. Tip: use your hands or a electric mixer on low speed for best results.
- Beat the egg in a separate bowl. Add to the ground turkey mixture and mix well.
- Using a scoop or your hands, make meatballs into balls that are about 1 inch in diameter. Roll into a ball shape using your hands.
- Place meatballs on a prepared baking sheet. Cook for 15 minutes, flipping the meatballs halfway through with a pair of tongs to prevent them from burning.
- The meatballs are done when they reach a temperature of 165F when tested with a meat thermometer. Enjoy!!