Cottage cheese pizza is a new and unique pizza idea! This is a white pizza that’s topped with cottage cheese, spices and a blend of two different cheeses. The cottage cheese is blended until smooth, and adds a layer of extra creaminess to the pizza!
Adding cottage cheese to your pizza creates a creamy, melt-in-your mouth dish. While some people prefer to use cream cheese, using cottage cheese is actually lower in fat and calories, yet still creates an extra cheesy pizza.
This recipe was created because I wanted to make a pizza without red sauce, yet still wanted the moisture that the sauce provides. I had some extra cottage cheese in the refrigerator, and after a little bit of experimenting, it wound up on our pizza!
I’ve now been making this cottage cheese pizza recipe on repeat for pretty much every time we eat pizza. It is one of my husband’s absolute favorites. The concept is original, yet the flavor is phenomenal.
Looking for a QUICK and EASY pizza recipe? Check out my easy tortilla pizza recipe!
Reasons to Love This:
- Adding cottage cheese to your pizza creates a creamy, cheesy pizza!
- This is an easy way to switch up your normal pizza night
- The cottage cheese adds an extra 3 grams of protein per slice of pizza
- Calorie conscious? The cottage cheese is lower in fat and calories than alternatives, such as cream cheese
- Pizza Crust: Choose a pizza crust of your choice. I choose a precooked pizza crust purchased from the store, however homemade crust will also work. The ingredient amounts work well with a 14-inch pizza crust. You could probably stretch it and use a 16-inch crust, or do 2, 8-inch crusts.
- Chicken Breast: any form of cooked chicken breast will work. Some ideas are baked chicken breast cut into 1 inch cubes, leftover chicken that has been grilled and cut into pieces, or rotisserie chicken breast that has the skin/bone removed and cut into pieces.
- Olive Oil: use a good quality, extra virgin olive oil. The brand California Olive Ranch is a good brand and is sold at Walmart stores.
- Cottage Cheese: alternatives are low fat or fat free cottage cheese. The cottage cheese is blended so you can’t even tell it’s on the crust.
- Spices: Garlic, Basil, Oregano, Salt and Pepper- the spices all add flavor to the pizza.
- Mozzarella Cheese: choose shredded, mozzarella cheese.
- Parmesan Cheese: use the fresh, shredded parmesan cheese that’s sold in the refrigerator aisle for best results.
Step By Step Instructions
Preheat the oven to 400F. Spray a large cookie sheet or pizza pan and place the crust on the pan.
Combine the cottage cheese, olive oil and spices in a blender. Blend until smooth. You may have to scrape down the sides a couple times to get everything mixed. This works best in a small blender, such as a magic bullet. You could also use a food processor if it is a small version.
Spread the blended cottage cheese evenly over the crust, leaving about a ½ inch space around the edge. There may be a little bit of extra cottage cheese leftover.
Top with the diced, cooked chicken. Add any other toppings if desired, such as Canadian bacon, pepperoni, green peppers or black olives.
Top evenly with the mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese.
Bake in the oven. TIP: To get the golden brown spots that you often see on pizza, broil the pizza for 1-2 minutes. Cut using a pizza cutter. Serve warm.
- I have made this pizza with multiple crust sizes, including 14 inch, 16 inch and 2, 8 inch crusts. I recommend using a 14-inch crust. You may have a couple extra tablespoons of cottage cheese sauce leftover, so this recipe would easily work with a 16-inch crust or 2, 8 inch crusts. The recipe is pretty hard to mess up, and you can always adjust the sauce / cheese if you want smaller or larger crusts.
- The cooking time is based on a Boboloni brand pizza crust. Double check your crust package to see how long to bake it for. The pizza will take longer to cook if you use a homemade crust or store bought dough that has not been cooked.
- Make it spicy by adding some crushed red pepper flakes to the top!
Refrigerator: Store the leftovers in an airtight container. Eat within 2 days. To reheat, heat in the microwave in 15 second intervals until warm.
Freezer: Wrap the pizza in foil and store in an airtight zip lock bag. Store for up to 2 months. Please note, the quality of the pizza, in particular the crust, will not be as good as it is when fresh. It is still safe to eat, however!
Here’s some fun toppings that would taste delicious on this pizza:
- Spinach, chicken and cheese: add a bag of fresh spinach and olive oil to a medium sauce pan. Cook until wilted and soft. Cut into small pieces with kitchen scissors. Mix with 1 cup of cooked chicken cubes and sprinkle on the pizza.
- Arugula and prosciutto: Cook the pizza as outlined in the instructions. Once cooked, add 1 cup of thinly sliced prosciutto and 4 ounces of arugula leaves to the top.
- Meat lovers: pepperoni, sausage, diced ham, Canadian bacon. Add a total of 1.5 cups of meat toppings.
- Crust: you can use a homemade crust in place of a store bought crust, just make sure to adjust the cooking time.
- Gluten Free: Make this a gluten free pizza by using a gluten free crust. I love the UDI's brand 8 inch gluten free pizza crusts.
- Cheese: The mozzarella cheese can be substituted with a four blend Italian cheese. You can also use a low fat cheese or a cheese that has been made with 2% milk. Note: Cheese that is 100% fat free tends to melt differently than normal cheese. I have not noticed any difference with low-fat cheese, however.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I meal prep this?
This pizza can be partially made the night before. I would recommend blending the cottage cheese, oil, spices and then storing in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
TIP: make a double batch of the cottage cheese sauce. Use half for your pizza and store the other half in the freezer in a zip lock bag, that way you have it ready to go next time you make pizza! I have done this before and you can’t even tell that it was frozen.
Can I use homemade crust?
Yes, you are welcome to use any type of crust. The cooking time in the instructions are for a pre-cooked crust, so adjust appropriately if using a homemade crust or dough.
More Dinner Recipes
Cottage Cheese Pizza
- 1 cup cottage cheese blended
- 1 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- ½ cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1 c chopped chicken cooked
- 1.5 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 12 inch cooked pizza crust
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Add the cottage cheese, black pepper, oregano, thyme, dried basil, salt and minced garlic into a blender.
- Blend on high for 30 seconds, or until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the blender with a rubber spatula as needed.
- Place a pre-cooked pizza crust on a greased cookie sheet.
- Spread the cottage cheese mixture in a thin layer evenly over the crust, leaving about ¼ inch of crust empty. (Note: you may have some leftover cottage cheese mixture depending on the size of crust used).
- Top with cubed chicken.
- Top with shredded mozzarella cheese and shredded parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Turn the oven to broil and cook for 1 minute to get a slightly browned cheese topping.
- Slice into pieces and serve warm.