This air fryer French toast recipe is very easy to make! The air fryer creates a slightly crispy glaze on the outside of your bread and leaves the inside moist. This is an easy recipe and cooking it in the air fryer makes cleanup a breeze!
Did you know that you can make French toast in the air fryer? It actually turns out delicious too. If you are ready to ditch the griddle, or simply put a unique twist on your normal French toast, this recipe is for you! No need to worry about flipping French toast on the griddle. Simply place it in the air fryer, push start and walk away!
This recipe originated from my husband surprising me with breakfast one morning. I instantly new that I’d have to recreate it. Now, I'm obsessed with making this (along with a batch of my banana chocolate chip muffins) on the weekend!
The air fryer french toast goes great with a side of cheesecake fruit salad or a big slice of my delicious and super easy spinach and mushroom quiche. Or, you can serve it alone!
The recipe can be customized however you like. It can be made gluten free by using gluten free bread. There is also an option to make it dairy free by leaving out the butter and using almond milk.
Reasons You’ll Love This
- It’s family friendly. This recipe is great way to get the kids or whole family involved. Have the kids help dip the bread in the egg and sprinkle on sugar (depending on skill level).
- This recipe takes less than 15 minutes to make. This is perfect for the beginner cook, or for someone short on time.
- The air fryer creates a crispy, sweet outside, which is prefect if you don’t like soggy French toast.
What You’ll Need
- Bread- I prefer to use a whole grain bread. Texas toast, Italian bread or regular sandwich bread will work. This recipe has also been tested with gluten free bread and works just as well.
- Butter: melt the butter and let it cool prior to adding the milk and eggs.
- Eggs- use 3 large eggs.
- Milk- use skim or 1% milk. Almond milk or soy milk will also work (use plain or vanilla flavored).
- Cinnamon – feel free to add extra cinnamon if you prefer an extra flavorful piece of French toast.
- Sugar- use granulated white sugar. Brown sugar can be substituted.
- The cooking time is based on your standard slice of whole grain bread. If you use a thick cut bread, such as Texas Toast or French bread, the cooking time may need to be adjusted slightly.
- You may have some egg mixture leftover depending on how thick the cut of bread is. A thick slice of French toast bread will soak up more of the egg mixture, however will also take longer to cook.
- Cook the french toast in batches: do only 2 slices of bread at a time in the air-fryer. This may vary based on the size of air fryer and size of bread used. The bread should lay flat on the bottom of the air fryer and should not be overlapping.
- Do not dip the bread until right before you are ready to cook it.
- Once the French toast is done cooking, keep it warm by covering it with foil.
Step by Step Instructions
Preheat the Air Fryer. Cut bread in half (if using extra-large slices of bread, cut into quarters).
Mix your eggs and milk in a small bowl. Whisk until combined. In a separate bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon.
Set up an assembly line. Place the bowl of egg and bowl of sugar next to each other and place the bread on a plate. Keep the bowls as close as possible to prevent excess mess or spills. I like to keep a plate nearby so that I can hold the bread over the plate when I sprinkle on the sugar. It catches any excess sugar that doesn't land on the bread.
Dip the bread in the egg mixture. The bread should be fully coated. This can be done using your hands or using a pair of tongs.
Hold the bread over the plate and sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the top using a spoon. Flip the bread and sprinkle cinnamon sugar on the other side.
Once the air fryer is preheated, spray with pan release spray. Place the bread in the air fryer basket. (Bread should not be overlapping or touching). My basket holds 2 pieces of bread, it may vary based on the side of air fryer and bread used. (Note: the bread will need to be cooked in several batches. Dip bread in the egg mixture right before cooking, or it will get soggy).
Cook for 5 minutes. Remove immediately from air fryer. The bread should be slightly crispy on the outside.
Refrigerator: store in an air tight container for up to 2 days. Keep in the refrigerator. Do not freeze. Reheat by placing in the microwave for 15 seconds.
Freezer: let the French toast cool completely. Place in an airtight gallon ziplock bag. Squeeze out all air and seal shut. Freeze for up to 2 months. Reheat by placing in the microwave and checking it every 10 seconds.
This air fryer French toast tastes great plain, however it’s also delicious with toppings. Here some favorite toppings:
- Fresh fruit: blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, bananas
- Chocolate chips
- Powdered Sugar
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make these into French toast sticks?
Yes, cut the bread into sticks prior to dipping it in the egg batter. After bread is cut, dip it in the egg batter and follow instructions in the recipe.
Can I make this recipe the night before?
Some of the recipe can be prepped the night before. The dipping station of egg/milk mixture can be combined in a bowl and refrigerated. The sugar and cinnamon mixture can also be combined ahead of time. Wait to dip the bread until immediately before cooking.
More Breakfast Recipes
Air Fryer French Toast
- 6 slices bread gluten free whole grain bread or bread of choice
- 3 eggs large
- ½ cup milk
- 1.5 tablespoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- Cut bread in half (if using extra large slices of bread, cut into quarters)
- Combine the eggs and milk in a small bowl. Use a whisk or fork and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon.
- Create an assembly line: set the bowl of eggs next to the bowl of cinnamon sugar. Dip the bread in the egg mixture until entirely coated.
- Remove from the egg mixture, use a spoon to sprinkle about 1 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar evenly over the top of the bread. Flip and sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on the other side.
- Preheat air fryer to 350F.
- Once the air fryer is preheated, place the bread in the bottom of air fryer basket. Note: bread should not be touching or overlapping. You may have to cook this in several batches.
- Cook for 5 minutes. Remove and serve with syrup or fresh fruit.
Great article once again! Thank you=)