Honey walnut cream cheese is a delicious spread that goes well with bagels, toast, or crackers. It's a perfect balance of sweetness and creaminess and puts a fun spin on your normal cream cheese. Best part? Ready in less than 20 minutes!
This honey walnut cream cheese recipe was inspired by the oh-so-famous spread sold at Panera. After having their cream cheese, I was determined to create my own version. It took many tries, however I've perfected the best honey walnut cream cheese!
This recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves a sweet and nutty spread. It's simple to make, delicious, and versatile, making it an ideal addition to your breakfast or snack.
Reasons to Love This
This recipe is so easy to make! It requires just a few ingredients which you may already have in your pantry!
It's a healthier alternative to store-bought spreads because you control the ingredients and the amount of sugar.
The cream cheese is a versatile snack that you can eat with almost anything - breads, muffins, bagels, crackers or as a fruit dip!
- Cream Cheese: this works best with the "whipped cream cheese" as opposed to block cream cheese. Whipped cream cheese is sold in a tub container and is preferred because it's easier to mix and is already light and creamy.
- Walnuts: add a nice crunch and nutty flavor to the cream cheese. You can substitute with pecans if desired!
- Honey: honey is a natural sweetener. Add more honey if you prefer a sweeter version of the cream cheese.
- Cinnamon: adds flavor. Increase the amount used if you prefer a stronger cinnamon flavor.
See recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
- Cream Cheese: You can substitute the cream cheese with low fat or fat free cream cheese. Keep in mind that the flavor and texture may differ slightly. You can also use a flavored cream cheese, such as strawberry cream cheese.
- Walnuts: substitute with pecans if desired. You can also leave them out entirely to make a honey cinnamon cream cheese.
- Honey: If you don't have honey or prefer a different type of sweetener, you can substitute it with maple syrup, agave nectar, or brown sugar. You may need to adjust the amount used.
Here's a few fun ways you can change up this honey walnut cream cheese recipe! Feel free to experiment and create your own unique twist!
- Chocolate Walnut Cream Cheese: Add 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder to the cream cheese. This will create a rich, chocolatey spread with a nutty crunch.
- Cinnamon Raisin Walnut Cream Cheese: Add in ¼ cup raisins and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. You can also use craisins to make this a tarter version.
- Blueberry Walnut Cream Cheese: Add in¼ cup of fresh or frozen blueberries to the cream cheese mixture.
- Maple Walnut Cream Cheese: Substitute the honey for maple syrup. Add ¼ teaspoon of ground nutmeg to the cream cheese mixture.
Step 1: Combine the cream cheese, honey and cinnamon in a large bowl. Mix well.
Step 2: Toast the walnuts in a skillet. Heat the skillet to medium heat and add the pecans. Stir frequently. Remove immediately when they begin to brown. Let cool.
Step 3: Add the walnuts to the cream cheese and mix well!
Step 4: Garnish with extra walnuts, cinnamon or honey!
Hint: toasting the walnuts is optional. The walnuts tend to burn easily, so watch them closely and remove from the heat as soon as they brown.
- Use whipped cream cheese for best results! If you need to sub with block cream cheese, soften it in the microwave it for 10-15 seconds or leave it at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Use chopped walnuts. Either purchase pre-chopped walnuts or use a food processor or a blender to chop the walnuts.
- You can adjust the sweetness to your liking by adding more or less honey.
The cream cheese can also be used as a fruit dip for strawberries, apple slices or orange wedges. You can even use it as a filling for your pastries, cakes, or cupcakes!
Yes! Simply use a low fat or fat free cream cheese!
Yes! Agave nectar, brown sugar or maple syrup are all good options!
Store this honey walnut cream cheese in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Make sure to bring it to room temperature before using it for spreading.
I do not recommend freezing it. The texture of the cream cheese will be significantly altered!
Other Related Dip Recipes
If you tried this Honey Walnut Cream Cheese recipe or any other recipe on my website, please please leave a ?star rating and let me know how you like it in the ? comments below. I love hearing from you!
Honey Walnut Cream Cheese
- 8 ounces cream cheese whipped
- 2 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ Cup walnuts chopped
- Combine the whipped cream cheese, honey, and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl. Mix well
- Brown the walnuts. Place the walnuts in a sauce pan and set the heat to medium. Stir frequently, remove from heat immediately once they start to brown.
- Let the walnuts cool for a couple minutes and then add to the cream cheese mixture.
- Mix until combined. Serve cold.