These buffalo chicken thighs are such a hit with my family! The chicken thighs are covered in a buffalo sauce and seasoning blend and cooked to perfection. There are instructions for cooking the chicken in the oven or on the grill.
These grilled or oven baked chicken thighs are low carb and gluten-free! Make them dairy free by following the modifications listed below. I love serving these for dinner on the weekend and then eating leftovers for lunch during the week.
Reasons to Love This Recipe
- This recipe is so easy! It takes less than 5 minutes to prep and requires no maintenance while baking in the oven!
- Very few ingredients are involved. You may already have everything on hand.
- The flavor is amazing! The buffalo sauce combined with butter and the juices of the chicken is so savory!
- These freeze and reheat great. Cook a large batch, pop them in the freezer and then pull them out as needed for an easy meal!
Buffalo Sauce: use any type of buffalo sauce or hot sauce. I love the brand “Primal Kitchen Buffalo Sauce”. Sweet Baby Ray's also makes a good buffalo sauce. Frank's red hot sauce is another suggestion.
Chicken Thighs- the chicken thighs must be boneless and skinless. You can substitute chicken breasts or chicken wings.
Butter: the butter is mixed with the buffalo sauce to create a richer and creamier sauce. I would recommend pure butter for the best flavor. Olive oil can also be substituted.
Garlic Powder and Onion Powder: these spices add flavor. An alternative to these options is to add fresh minced garlic and freshly chopped onions.
Step by Step Instructions
Prepare the marinade: combine the buffalo sauce, butter, garlic powder, and onion powder in a medium skillet. Cook over medium heat until butter is melted and sauce begins to bubble.
Remove from heat. Allow the sauce to cool for 5 minutes.
Once the sauce has cooled, place the chicken in a bowl, pour the sauce over the chicken, and mix. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Once the chicken is done marinating, preheat the oven to 400F. Grease the bottom of a casserole dish. Place the chicken evenly in the bottom of the dish.
Cover tightly with foil. Cook until the temperature of the chicken reaches 165F, about 35-45 Minutes.
Remove the foil and brush the hot thighs with an additional layer of hot sauce. Spoon any juices that are in the pan back over the chicken. Serve warm!
Buffalo Chicken Thighs on the Grill
Cook these chicken thighs on the grill if you prefer! Prepare the chicken thighs and marinade as stated above.
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat after the chicken marinates. Place the chicken thighs on the grill, and cook for 5-7 minutes on each side. Remove when the chicken reaches 165F.
Place in the refrigerator and consume within 3-4 days. Place the chicken in the refrigerator promptly after cooking to allow it to cool and prevent food-borne illness.
Freezer: the chicken freezes very well. Place in a zip lock bag and seal shut. Freeze for up to 3 months. Reheat individual portions as needed, or as a large meal for the whole family.
Reheat: microwave for 30-second intervals until warm. The USDA recommends reheating all food to 165F for optimal food safety.
Meat: Substitute options are chicken breasts, chicken tenders, or turkey breast. Chicken thighs with the skin/bone can also be used. Cook time will vary based on the type and size of meat.
Buffalo Sauce: My two favorite brands of buffalo sauce are Sweet Baby Rays and Primal Kitchen. Any brand is fine though!
Spicier: Increase the spice level of these thighs by topping them with hot sauce or adding extra buffalo sauce on top, after they are done cooking.
Gluten-Free: This recipe is naturally gluten-free! Always double-check the labels just to be sure!
Dairy Free: The butter contains dairy, so use a substitute such as ghee. Double-check the hot sauce label to make sure it’s dairy-free.
I love to serve these chicken thighs as the main entrée and pair them with a couple of side dishes. Here are some of my favorites:
- Serve over a bed of rice with strawberry spinach salad
- Serve with some instant pot asparagus and cheesecake fruit salad for dessert
- Shred the chicken thighs and serve them on top of a baked potato with ranch dressing
- Shred chicken thighs and make a wrap: add chicken, cheese, lettuce, and ranch to a large tortilla.
It’s important to allow the chicken to marinate for at least 2 hours. You can leave the chicken marinating for up to 6 hours, however, do not soak any longer than that.
Cover the pan with foil and seal tightly around the edges! This is a really important step. The foil creates steam inside the dish, which is a moist cooking method. This means the chicken will be less likely to dry after cooking.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Tell if the Chicken Is Done Cooking?
The chicken is cooked when it reaches an internal temperature of 165F, as measured with a meat thermometer. For the most accurate reading, place the thermometer in the center of the chicken, and don’t allow it to touch the ban.
Is This Recipe Spicy?
The definition of spice varies for every person, so this is hard to answer. I would say these are not overly spicy, however, I would not serve these to my toddler. For comparison’s sake, they are less spicy than a bag of ‘flaming hot cheetos’. You can always add more sauce after cooking by topping with tobacco sauce or more wing sauce.
More Easy Dinner Recipes
Buffalo Chicken Thighs
- 1.25 pounds chicken thighs boneless, skinless
- ½ cup buffalo wing sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- In a medium saucepan, combine the buffalo wing sauce, butter, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Cook over medium heat until butter is melted and mixture bubbles. Stir frequently to prevent burning.
- Once sauce is cooked, remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes to cool.
- Place the chicken thighs in a large bowl, add the cooled sauce. Allow the thighs to marinade in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
To Make in the Oven
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Grease an 8x8 inch baking dish, add the marinated chicken thighs.
- Pour any remaining buffalo sauce mixture over the top.
- Cover with foil and pinch tightly all around the edges to seal.
- Cook for 35-40 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 165F.
- Use a pastry brush to top with additional buffalo sauce.
- When serving the chicken, use a spoon to add the additional liquid that's in the bottom of the pan back over the chicken.
To Make on the Grill
- Prepare the chicken thighs and marinade as stated above. Once the chicken is done marinating, preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Place the chicken thighs on the heat, and cook for 5-7 minutes on each side. Remove when the chicken reaches 165F.