These gluten free oatmeal chocolate chip bars are tasty and satisfying! This recipe is easy to make and is a popular dessert that's loved by all!
Peanut butter and chocolate is a dream combination! These bars have a perfectly chewy texture from the oatmeal. Once you bite into them, you will be hit with a delicious flavor combination of peanut butter and chocolate, making them hard to put down.
The best part about these flourless oatmeal chocolate chip bars is that they are easy to make! You can prep and cook them in under 30 minutes!
Reasons You Will Love These Cookie Bars
- They are irresistible- creamy peanut butter, oatmeal, and rich chocolate chips make for the perfect flavor combination.
- The oatmeal chocolate chip bars are so easy to make! I made these and had them in the oven in under than 15 minutes.
- These flourless oatmeal chocolate chip bars are gluten-free -this is perfect for anyone with allergies or a great idea to bring to a party to accommodate allergies.
- The cookie bars are 100% flourless- you probably already have most of the ingredients on hand in your pantry!
Oatmeal: Use the Gluten Free Old Fashioned Oats. I used the brand "Bob's Red Mill Old Fashioned Rolled Gluten Free Oats."
Brown Sugar: Gives the bars sweetness. The brown sugar helps to create a more dense and chewy bar.
Egg: Holds everything together! Use a flax egg if looking for a vegan option.
Peanut Butter: Creamy peanut butter is recommended. These cookie bars have not been tested with the crunchy peanut butter, and it's possible the crunchy peanut butter may result in a bar that has a drier texture. Any brand will work, avoid natural brands to prevent the oil separation.
Oatmeal: Use the old fashioned oatmeal. This creates a chewier bar. Do not substitute with quick cooking oats or steel cut oats- the texture may not be as good.
Mini Chocolate Chips: increase or decrease the amount used based on your preference. Use regular chocolate chips if preferred. I choose to use mini chocolate chips in the bar and then sprinkled a few regular sized chocolate chips on top!
- Replace the chocolate chips with raisins, chopped walnuts or pecans, dark Chocolate Chips, M & M's or Butterscotch Chips.
- Sub the peanut butter with almond butter.
- Use regular old fashioned oatmeal or quick cooking oatmeal if you are not concerned about this recipe being gluten free.
Step By Step Instructions
Step 1: Combine the peanut butter, brown sugar, vanilla, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. (Image 1)
Step 2: Use an electric mixer and beat at medium speed for about 2 minutes. (Image 2)
Step 3: Add in egg, mix, then add the oatmeal and chocolate chips. (Image 3)
Step 4: Grease an 8x8inch metal pan and pour in cookie mixture. The mixture will be thick, similar to a dough consistency. Spread the batter using a rubber spatula so that it's an even height across the top. (Image 4)
Step 5: Bake for 15 minutes- don't overcook! Cool & cut. enjoy!
How To Freeze These Cookie Bars
These cookie bars freeze great! They can be stored in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Step 1: Cut the cookie bars into squares. Remove from pan and layer on a piece of freezer paper (parchment paper or waxed paper will also work).
Step 2: Place another layer of freezer paper over the top of the bars. Place in a freezer zip lock bar and seal shut so that no air remains.
Thaw for 30 minutes at room temperature before eating. Enjoy!
- This recipe was cooked in a metal 8 x 8 inch pan. Cooking times and end product may vary if using a glass or ceramic pan.
- It's essential not to overcook these bars, as that will make them hard and they will not have a chewy texture (unless that's what you want!).
- These bars taste really good when served warm. Heat them in the microwave for about 20 seconds before serving for an ooey-gooey tasty treat.
This recipe can be doubled easily. Multiply all ingredients by two. Use a larger pan such as a 9 x 13-inch pan. Cooking time will also increase by about 5 - 10 minutes.
These tasty peanut butter bars have 240 calories per serving. They do have healthy fats from the peanut butter and but also contain with sugar. My favorite saying is "just keep everything in moderation".
Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Refrigerate for best quality.
More Delicious Desserts
If you tried this Gluten Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bar recipe or any other recipe on my website, please please leave a star rating and let me know how you like it in the comments below. I love hearing from you!
Gluten Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars
- 1 & ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup oats gluten free
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Spray an 8x8 inch metal baking dish with non-stick release pan spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine peanut butter, brown sugar, vanilla, baking soda and salt. Using an electric mixer, beat at medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Add in egg, mix until combined.
- Add in oatmeal and chocolate chips. Mix until combined.
- Transfer the prepared baking dish and spread so that batter is an even height across the top.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until toothpick is inserted and comes out clean (don't over cook). Do not over cook!
- Let cool before cutting into squares. Enjoy!
- Chopped walnuts or pecans
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- M & M's
- Butterscotch Chips