These 3 ingredient peanut butter oatmeal balls are a delicious and healthy snack! They take less than 5 minutes to prepare and are a perfect option to bring on the go!
These peanut butter oatmeal balls are exactly as they sound- they only require 3 ingredients! This tasty snack is soft and sweet- it will leave your taste buds craving more!
Looking for more easy recipes? Check out these 3 ingredient oatmeal cookies or these delicious cookie dough balls! If you need an allergy friendly version, check out the no bake cookies without peanut butter.
Reasons to Love This Recipe
- These are no bake oatmeal balls; no oven, microwave or cooking equipment is required.
- The oatmeal balls are healthy! They are loaded with fiber, protein, and healthy fats.
- This tasty treat is perfect for on the go! This is a great option to take with you as a healthy snack, dessert, or even lunch.
- The oatmeal balls are versatile; feel free to add extras such as cinnamon, coconut, chocolate chips, or M&Ms.
- Peanut butter – make sure to get the creamy kind!
- Oatmeal- use either quick-cooking oats or old-fashioned oats. The quick-cooking oatmeal is cut into smaller pieces than old-fashioned oats, so it will be a less chewy treat. The old fashioned oats will work too; it will just result in a chewier ball. Make sure to use gluten-free oats if needed!
Step by Step Instructions
Combine the honey and peanut butter in a microwave-safe mixing bowl. Heat until melted (this helps make it easier to mix!)
Add the oatmeal, and mix well until combined.
Scoop into balls using a cookie dough scoop or a rounded tablespoon. Place on waxed paper and refrigerate to set.
Variations & Substitutions
Smooth Oatmeal Balls- to make an oatmeal ball that has less of an oatmeal texture, puree the oats in a food processor until smooth to create oat flour.
Peanut Free- sub the peanut butter with almond butter, sunflower butter or something similar. Note, that this will affect the flavor.
Gluten Free- make this recipe gluten-free by using oats that are 100% certified as gluten free. I recommend the brand “Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Old Fashioned Oatmeal”.
These 3 ingredients peanut butter oatmeal balls work great with extra add in’s. If you are adding in multiple items such as chocolate chips and nuts, adjust the amount so your total amount of add-ins is equal to ½ cup. Here are some suggestions and the recommended amount:
- Chocolate chips (¼ cup)
- M&M’s (¼ cup)
- Chopped walnuts (¼ cup)
- Raisins (¼ cup)
- Cinnamon (½ tsp)
- Vanilla Extract (½ tsp)
- Coconut Flakes (recommend rolling the oatmeal balls in these)
- Chopped peanuts (roll the oatmeal balls in these)
- Cocoa powder: add in 1 teaspoon or roll the oatmeal balls in this.
The oatmeal balls can be stored at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Store in an airtight container. Consume within 3 days if left on the counter or within 5 days if refrigerated.
Freezer: Freeze the oatmeal balls for up to 2 months- store them in an airtight container or ziplock bag. I recommend freezing them on a plate first and then placing them in a ziplock bag once frozen, so they do not stick together.
- Use a cookie dough scoop to form evenly shaped and similar-sized balls. You don’t need to roll the balls if using a cookie dough scoop.
- Microwave the honey and peanut butter to ensure all ingredients are mixed evenly together.
- Chill the mixture for about 10-15 minutes before rolling it into balls. This will make it easier to work with.
Frequently Asked Questions
To make the perfect ball shapes, there are 2 tips: use a cookie dough scoop and place the balls on a piece of waxed paper or paper plate. Set in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to allow the dough to harden. Remove from the freezer and use your hands to roll into balls. This will help form the perfect ball!
Decrease the sweetness by using less honey. Increase the amount of peanut butter to help prevent the balls from becoming dry. If you use 1 tablespoon less honey, increase the peanut butter by 1 tablespoon.
More Healthy Snacks
3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls
- 1.5 cups oatmeal old fashioned oats
- .5 cup peanut butter creamy
- 3 tablespoon honey
- Add the honey and peanut butter to a microwave safe bowl. Heat in the microwave for about 20 seconds or until melted (this makes it easier to stir).
- Add the oatmeal. Mix well until all ingredients are combined.
- Use a scoop or heaping teaspoon and scoop into balls. Use hands to roll into desired shape.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours to help the balls set. Enjoy!
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup chopped nuts
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Drizzle with chocolate drizzle (melt ¼ cup chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon coconut oil, mix well, pour over the oatmeal balls)