Hot honey chicken is a sweet and spicy entree that's so easy to make! The chicken is coated with breadcrumbs and then baked in the oven for a crispy finish. It's topped with a delicious sweet and spicy hot honey sauce!
Hot honey chicken is perfect for a quick and easy weeknight dinner. The chicken can be served as an entree, or you can get creative and serve it as a bowl, on top of a salad or as part of a sandwich. Adjust the spice level by increasing or decreasing the amount of hot sauce used.
This is a favorite recipe that I have used many times for dinner guests. It's impressive, easy to make and a widely popular food! The chicken pairs well with this popular instant pot asparagus or roasted asparagus and brussel sprouts. It would also go great with a spinach caprese salad!
Reasons to Love This
- This chicken is the perfect combination of sweet and spicy flavors. It's a unique way to spice up your normal chicken breast!
- The hot honey chicken is packed with flavor. The hot honey sauce is the perfect balance of sweet and spicy!
- The chicken is crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside, making it a perfect texture combination. The breadcrumbs help add a crunchy finish.
- This chicken is baked in the oven rather than fried, which makes it a healthy option!
- Chicken: You can use chicken breasts, thighs, or wings for this recipe.
- Hot Sauce: Choose your favorite hot sauce, but keep in mind that the spicier the sauce, the spicier the dish will be. I prefer Frank's red hot sauce (affiliate link).
- Honey: Use high-quality honey for the best flavor.
- Breadcrumbs: panko breadcrumbs work best for a more crunchy coating. Use gluten free if desired.
See recipe card for quantities.
Combine all spices, breadcrumbs, flour and parmesan cheese into a large bowl. Mix until combined.
In a separate bowl, combine the egg and mix. Dip the chicken in the egg mixture and then in the bread crumb mixture until fully coated. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake in the oven until fully cooked. While the chicken is cooking, prepare the hot honey sauce. Mix the honey, hot sauce and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Microwave for about 30 seconds, until hot.
Pour over the chicken when removed from oven and serve immediately.
Hint: Add extra hot sauce or red pepper flakes for a spicier chicken!
- Chicken: You can substitute chicken with tofu or cauliflower florets for a vegetarian version of this dish. You can also use chicken thighs, chicken wings or drumsticks in place of chicken breast.
- Hot Sauce: If you don't have hot sauce, you can substitute it with red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
- Garlic: This works best with garlic powder; however freshly minced garlic can also be used.
- Flour: If you want to make the chicken crispy but don't have flour, you can substitute it with cornstarch or rice flour.
- Gluten Free: make this dish gluten free by using gluten free breadcrumbs and gluten free flour. All other ingredients should be gluten free, but always double check the label!
- Dairy Free: this recipe can be modified to be dairy free by removing the parmesan cheese. There is no substitute.
- Add more spices to the marinade, such as paprika or cumin, for extra flavor.
- Use different types of hot sauce, such as Sriracha or Tabasco, to customize the spice level.
- Swap the honey for maple syrup or agave nectar for a different sweetener.
Storage and Leftovers
Store the chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The chicken can be frozen for up to 2 months. I would recommend freezing the breaded chicken only and then add the honey sauce later right before you are ready to serve.
- To ensure the chicken is cooked through and safe to eat, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken without touching the bone, and make sure it reads 165°F.
- After cooking the chicken, let it rest for a few minutes before serving. This allows the juices to redistribute, making the chicken more tender and juicier.
- Adjust the sweetness and spiciness to your liking. If you prefer a sweeter glaze, add more honey. If you prefer a spicier glaze, add more hot sauce.
- Experiment with different cooking methods. This recipe demonstrates how to bake the chicken, however you can also fry or grill the chicken.
Hot honey chicken is typically served as a main entree for lunch or dinner and accompanied by your favorite sides. Here are some suggestions of various ways it can be served.
- Serve as the main entree with a side of sweet potato fries, air fryer butternut squash or creamy spaghetti squash. This would also go well with a slice of gluten free banana cake for dessert!
- Serve as a salad. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and add it to a salad. Try it with a simple green salad, or add to this spinach caprese salad or hawaiian salad.
- Use the chicken as a filling for a sandwich. Add some fresh lettuce, tomato, and a drizzle of ranch or mayo for a hearty sandwich!
- Turn the hot honey chicken into a bowl, similar to this chipotle bowl or buffalo chicken rice bowl. Cut the chicken into small pieces and serve on top of rice, diced carrots, celery and beans.
- Looking to make this extra spicy? Drizzle some siracha, honey chipotle sauce or buffalo sauce on top!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can make the breaded chicken and bake it in the oven one day, and then top with the hot honey sauce right before serving.
Yes, you can fry or grill the chicken instead of baking it. Adjust the cooking time accordingly.
The flavors are similar! Popeye's chicken is fried, so this is a much healthier version!
- Always wash your hands and surfaces thoroughly before handling raw chicken.
- Use a separate cutting board and utensils for raw chicken to avoid cross-contamination.
- Cook chicken to a safe internal temperature of 165°F.
Hot Honey Chicken
- 1 Oven
- 1.5 pounds chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs gluten free if needed
- ½ cup flour gluten free if needed
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs
Hot Honey Sauce
- ½ cup honey
- 2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, grease with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, flour, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder and salt. Mix and set aside.
- Add the eggs to a separate bowl and whisk until combined.
- Cut the chicken breast into 4-5 even pieces (they should be small, about the size of a deck of cards).
- Use a fork or tongs to dip the chicken breast in the egg mixture until coated.
- Remove and dip in the breadcrumbs until fully coated.
- Place on the parchment paper and repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Cook in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the chicken reaches 165F when measured with a meat thermometer.
- Once chicken is almost done cooking, prep the hot honey sauce. Combine the honey, hot sauce and red pepper in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for 30 seconds or until hot. Mix well.
- Pour over the cooked chicken. Serve warm.