The easy grilled chicken tostadas are healthy and a family favorite! The inspiration came one night when I had some extra chicken on hand and could not decide how to cook it. I was pretty hungry, so using the crock pot was not an option. I decided to make this chicken by grilling it on my stove-top grill pan, and was impressed by how wonderful this turned out. The chicken was flavorful and tender. As a bonus, this recipe is really healthy! Can't wait to share it with you!
Healthy Fats 101
What are the different types of fats?
There are 2 different categories of fats: healthy fat and unhealthy fat. "Healthy fats" are also called monounsaturated or polyunsaturated fats. We want to increase these fats in the daily diet.
"Unhealthy Fats" are called saturated fat or trans fats. The should be limited. (Think french fries, donuts, cakes, ice cream). The goal is to reduce "bad fats" and replace them with "good fats". Find out all about fats in this article from the American Heart Association.
examples of healthy fats (monounsaturated & polyunsaturated fats):
- Olive oil
- Ground flax seed
- Sunflower Seeds
- Pumpkin Seeds
examples of unhealthy fats (saturated fats and transfats):
- Popcorn with butter
- Whole milk
how to eat more healthy fats
Try to take 1 new step each day to replace the bad fats with good fats. For example, instead of cooking your foods in butter or lard, try olive oil instead! Substitute potato chips with a handful of almonds/walnuts--they offer the same crunch and are much healthier!
Here's a sample meal I ate the other night. I will show my original meal first, followed by the substitutions made for good fat.
Are chicken tostadas healthy
The recipe below uses avocados, which are a great source of fat that is healthy for you. It also adds a sense of creaminess to recipe, instead of having to add a lot of extra cheese. The chicken is also cooked in olive oil, which is a healthy fat as well. This recipe does contain cheese, however it is a very small amount.
Grilled Chicken Tostadas FAQ's
Do i have to marinade chicken?
Marinading the chicken before cooking is recommended. This will help make the chicken more tender and less chewy. Also, it adds great flavor to the chicken. This marinade is Mexican flavor and adds a hint of spice to the chicken. Check out this article on how to make the perfect chicken marinade.
Can i use chicken thighs?
Although I have not tried this recipe with chicken thighs, it could work if the chicken thighs are boneless and skinless. Chicken thighs typically have more fat on them compared to chicken breasts, so it is recommended to cut off all excess fat after cooking.
how to make Mock grilled chicken on the stove
No time to grill chicken on a bbq grill? No problem! I use this pan to create grilled chicken on the stove. The pan creates grill lines on the chicken to create the appearance of grilled chicken. Spray the pan with a pan spray to prevent sticking. Cook chicken on each side for about 10 minutes each side. Cooking time may vary based on the thickness of chicken.
A couple tips when using this pan:
- It is best to use medium low head. Using too high of heat will burn the outside will burn the outside of the chicken, while leaving the inside uncooked
- Use chicken of the same thickness- using a thick piece along with a very thin piece will result in differing cook times
- Make chicken the same thickness by pounding with a meat pounder. This will allow chicken to cook more evenly.
let's make some chicken tostadas!
Easy Chicken Toastados
- 1 pound chicken breast raw
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 roma tomatoes diced
- 1 avocado diced
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 corn tortillas
- Combine olive oil, cumin, chili powder and onion powder in small mixing bowl. Squeeze in the juice from 1 lime.
- Add chicken breasts to the olive oil mixture. Cover completely. Let set for 20 minutes.
- Place chicken in sauce pan over medium heat.
- Flip periodically. Cook until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear (Chicken should reach 165 degrees with a thermometer).
- Remove from stove. Cut into ½ inch pieces. Set aside.
- Arrange corn tortillas on a sheet so that they do not overlap.
Bake in oven for 3-4 or until crispy (Watch carefully as they burn easily).
- Assemble tostada by adding chicken, diced tomato, avocado and cheese to each tortilla.
checkout these other easy, health recipes!
If you like these chicken tostadas, you will be sure to love these other recipes!