This honey lime dressing is the perfect balance of sweet and tangy. It takes less than 5 minutes to make and pairs well with almost any salad!
If you love sweet, yet slightly tangy dressings, you’re in for a treat! This salad dressing has the perfect balance of sweetness from the honey, yet is slightly tart from the lime. It is often referred to as a honey lime vinaigrette because it contains oil mixed with an acidic ingredient. Whatever you choose to call it, the dressing tastes great!
This is an easy salad dressing recipe that I have been making for years! I love whipping up a batch and using it for my nightly salad. The ingredients are common and you most likely already have them on hand!
Reasons to Love This
- The honey lime dressing is easy to make! Just add a few ingredients to a bowl and mix well. It takes less than 5 minutes to prepare.
- The dressing is healthy! Olive oil provides an excellent source of healthy fats. Also, there are no added preservatives, emulsifiers, flavors or colors in this dressing.
- The salad dressing makes a large batch and can be used for multiple meals.
Salad Dressing Ingredients
- Olive Oil: use light extra virgin olive oil. The light olive oil contains a milder flavor, which helps it pair better with the honey and lime juice. The oil should come in a dark container and be stored in a dry cool place to prevent it from becoming rancid.
- Lime Juice: Use the juice from a freshly squeezed lime. 1 medium lime usually provides about 2 tablespoons of lime juice. An alternative is to use bottled lime juice.
- Honey: select your favorite brand of honey.
- Dijon Mustard: this adds flavor and an extra hint of tartness.
- Kosher salt, pepper, cumin and garlic powder: these seasonings add flavor to the dressing. Be sure to use kosher salt and not table salt!
Step by Step Instructions
Combine the olive oil, lime juice, honey, mustard, salt, pepper, cumin, and garlic powder in a small bowl. Use a whisk and mix well until combined. This could take 1-2 minutes. Serve with a salad of choice.
Leftovers & Storage Information
Store leftovers in an airtight container. Mason jars or glass dishes work best, as they do not absorb the flavor. I recommend refrigerating the dressing, as it contains juice from a fresh lime.
Serving leftover dressing: The dressing will harden once it’s been refrigerated (due to the olive oil), so be sure to let it sit out at room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving. Mix well with a whisk until it’s evenly combined.
The honey lime salad dressing pairs well with any salad! I especially love it with salads that contain fruit, such as spinach, strawberry, and feta salad. Another option is to pair it with any salad that doesn’t have a lot of strong flavors.
Looking for a quick and easy salad? Place a layer of greens in a bowl. Add chopped carrots, diced tomatoes, feta cheese, and diced blueberries. Top with the honey lime dressing.
- For a tangier flavor, add 1 teaspoon of lime zest- use a zester to zest the peel of the lime.
- Make this dressing sweeter by adding an extra ½ teaspoon of honey. Continue to add ½ teaspoon of honey until it reaches the desired sweetness.
- Swap the honey with pure maple syrup for a hint of maple flavor in the dressing.
- Use light olive oil for the best flavor. This means it has a milder flavor and pairs better with the honey and lime juice.
- Use the dressing within 3 days of making it for the best flavor.
- The dressing contains olive oil which is considered a healthy source of fat. Studies show that olive oil contains antioxidants that may have anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory properties.
- The fat in the salad dressing can help the body better absorb fat-soluble vitamins when eaten together. Pair the dressing and salad together for maximum benefit. (Source)
- The dressing contains 222 calories and 22 grams of fat per serving.
More Delicious Side Dishes
Honey Lime Dressing
- ½ c olive oil
- 2 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Heat the honey in the microwave for about 10 seconds so that it is easier to mix.
- In a small glass dish, combine the honey, olive oil, lime juice, mustard, kosher salt, black pepper, cumin and garlic powder.
- Use a whisk to mix until combined.