This Pina Colada smoothie takes less than 5 minutes to make and is made with only 3 ingredients! It's a refreshing drink that will make you feel like you're in a tropical paradise!
Smoothies are such a refreshing treat, and a great way to add some extra fruit into your diet. This smoothie can be consumed for breakfast, snack, dessert, or even dinner if you're feeling crazy! Hope you enjoy this pineapple coconut smoothie flavor combination as much as I do!
Looking for More Smoothies?
The best part about this recipe is that it only requires THREE ingredients! Can it get any easier?
- Coconut Milk: I used the "Silk" Brand of coconut milk. It comes in a 64 oz carton and can be purchased at most local retailers- Target, Walmart or the grocery store. It's found in the refrigerated section of the store.
- Cubed Pineapple: Either fresh or canned pineapple will work. I used canned pineapple because it was an easy option. Drain the juice if using canned pineapple. Freeze the pineapple overnight to help give the smoothie a frozen texture.
- Banana: Freeze the banana overnight prior to making the smoothie. A ripe banana is recommended because it adds sweetness to the smoothie.
The key to a perfect smoothie is a good consistency- a balance between frozen but still "drinkable". Sometimes, smoothies can be challenging to make, especially if your blender blade isn't very strong. The order that the ingredients are added to the blender is important to help with this.
Place the Coconut milk closest to the blender blade so that the frozen fruit does not get stuck. If you have a blender that flips over once ingredients are added (such as a Magic Bullet blender), pour the coconut milk in last. If you have a standing blender that has a blade on the bottom, pour the coconut milk in first.
Another tip is to blend the coconut milk and pineapple together first, and then add the banana once smooth. Also, let fruit rest at room temp for 10 minutes prior to making the smoothie (it should still be frozen, though!). This may help make it easier to blend the smoothie. If all else fails and the smoothie is too thick to blend, add a couple extra tablespoons of coconut milk in and try again.
Top this smoothie however you would like! Make it fun and add coconut flakes. Another idea is to top it with pineapple chunks, maraschino cherries, or even some chocolate sauce. A cute umbrella or straw would also make this smoothie look super cute..if that's what your going for 🙂 .
This smoothie recipe makes 1 serving. There are 240 calories and 3 grams of protein per serving. The fat content is 6.6 grams and there are 45 grams of carbs.
If eating this smoothie as a meal or snack, consider pairing it with some protein for a little extra balance. Eat a piece of string cheese with it or have a bowl of Greek yogurt on the side.
This smoothie makes 1 serving of smoothie. It is recommended to consume this smoothie shortly after preparation, in order to keep the frozen consistency of the smoothie.
Wondering what to do with your leftover pineapple and coconut milk? Portion the ingredients into zip lock bags and freeze, so that you can make individual smoothies as desired. Freeze the coconut milk in ice cube trays first, and then place the frozen cubes of coconut milk into your meal prep bags when frozen.
Pina Colada Protein Smoothie
This can easily be made into a Pina Colada flavored protein shake! Here's a few ways to add in some extra protein:
- Add ¼ cup of vanilla, nonfat Greek yogurt
- Add ¼ cup of coconut flavored Greek Yogurt (Aldi's makes a really good tasting flavor called Toasted coconut)
- Add ¼ cup low fat cottage cheese
- Add a scoop of vanilla or natural flavored protein powder
Let's Make a Pina Colada Smoothie!
- Combine your milk and pineapple in the blender.
- Blend until smooth
- Add the Banana & Blend again until smooth!
- Garnish if desired & enjoy!
More Delicious Recipes
Pina Colada Smoothie
- 1.25 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks canned or fresh is fine
- ½ banana, frozen and cut into chunks
- Combine coconut milk and pineapple chunks in blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add in the banana, blend until smooth.
- Garnish with cherries, coconut or pineapple if desired.
- Serve immediately.