These cookie bars are loaded with peanut butter, chocolate chips and oatmeal. This recipe is easy to make and is a popular dessert that's loved by all!
Peanut butter and chocolate. Possibly my all-time favorite flavor combination. Anything will do-- Reese's pieces, peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, plain peanut butter topped with chocolate chips..the list could go on! Anything with those two flavors and I'm a happy camper. So of course, I made these bars knowing they were going to be my absolute favorite.
If you like the flavors of peanut butter and chocolate, you will love these bars peanut butter chocolate chip bars!
Reasons You Will Love These Oatmeal Cookie Bars
- They taste good- creamy peanut butter, oatmeal and rich chocolate chips-it's hard to put these bars down!
- The oatmeal chocolate chip bars are so easy to make! I made these and had them in the oven in less than 15 minutes.
- These flourless oatmeal chocolate chip bars are gluten free -this is perfect for anyone with allergies or a great idea to bring to a party to accommodate allergies.
- They have oatmeal, which gives them a chewier texture.
- The cookie bars don't require any special ingredients - you probably already have most of the ingredients on hand in your pantry!
Are Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars Gluten Free?
YES! These oatmeal chocolate chip bars are gluten free. They have been made with all gluten free ingredients. Most ingredients are naturally gluten free, however it's a good idea to double check the labels. The only special ingredient is the oatmeal.
Oatmeal: Use the Gluten Free Old Fashioned Oats. I used the brand "Bob's Red Mill Old Fashioned Rolled Gluten Free Oats."
If you are not concerned about gluten intake, use any brand of old fashioned oatmeal.
Ingredients In The Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars
Brown Sugar: Gives the bars sweetness. The brown sugar helps to create a more dense and chewy bar.
Egg: Holds everything together! Use a flax egg if looking for a vegan option.
Peanut Butter: Creamy peanut butter is recommended. These cookie bars have not been tested with the crunchy peanut butter, and it's possible the crunchy peanut butter may result in a bar that has a drier texture. Any brand will work, avoid natural brands to prevent the oil separation.
Oatmeal: Use the old fashioned oatmeal. This creates a chewier bar. Do not substitute with quick cooking oats or steel cut oats- the texture may not be as good.
Baking Soda and Salt: Helps the cookie bars rise, gives them a chewy texture and the salt adds flavor.
Mini Chocolate Chips: increase or decrease the amount used based on your preference. Use regular chocolate chips if preferred. I choose to use mini chocolate chips in the bar and then sprinkled a few regular sized chocolate chips on top!
Can You Double This Recipe?
This recipe can be doubled easily. Multiply all ingredients by two. Use a larger pan such as a 9 x 13 inch pan. Cooking time will also increase by about 5 - 10 minutes.
How To Freeze These Cookie Bars
These cookie bars freeze great! They can be stored in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Step 1: Cut the cookie bars into squares. Remove from pan and layer on a piece of freezer paper (parchment paper or waxed paper will also work).
Step 2: Place another layer of freezer paper over the top of the bars. Place in a freezer zip lock bar and seal shut so that no air remains.
Thaw for 30 minutes at room temperature before eating. Enjoy!!
Don't like chocolate chips? No problem! There's several other options that can be used instead. The recipe calls for 1 cup of chocolate chips- keep the measurement the same when using other mix-ins.
- Chopped walnuts or pecans
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- M & M's
- Butterscotch Chips
Tips For Making the BEST Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars
- This recipe was cooked in a metal 8 x 8 inch pan. Cooking times and end product may vary if using a glass or ceramic pan.
- It's very important not to overcook these bars, as that will make them hard and they will not have a chewy texture (unless that's what you want!). It took my bars about 15 minutes to cook, however everyone's oven is different, so start checking around 15 minutes.
- These bars taste really good when served warm. Heat them in the microwave for about 20 seconds before serving for a ooey-gooey tasty treat.
How To Make Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars
Combine peanut butter, brown sugar, vanilla, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Use an electric mixer and beat at medium speed for about 2 minutes.
Add in egg, mix, then add the oatmeal and chocolate chips.
Grease an 8x8inch metal pan and pour in cookie mixture. The mixture will be thick, similar to a dough consistency. Spread the batter using a rubber spatula so that it's an even height across the top.
Bake for 15 minutes- don't over cook! Cool & cut. enjoy!
More Delicious Desserts
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars (Gluten Free)
- 1 & ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup oatmeal gluten free
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Spray an 8x8 inch metal baking dish with non-stick release pan spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine peanut butter, brown sugar, vanilla, baking soda and salt. Using an electric mixer, beat at medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Add in egg, mix until combined.
- Add in oatmeal and chocolate chips. Mix until combined.
- Transfer the prepared baking dish and spread so that batter is an even height across the top.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until toothpick is inserted and comes out clean (don't over cook).
- Let cool before cutting into squares. Enjoy!