Rotel Chicken is a creamy, cheesy and slightly spicy casserole dish that's easy to make. This chicken bake has layers of tortilla chips, cheese, rotel tomatoes and more!
This dish has layers of chips, chicken, rotel, chili's and cheese. What makes the dish extra special is that it uses cream of cheese soup, which adds and extra cheesiness. This rotel casserole is very versatile and many modifications can be made to your desire. You can add extra chili's or salsa to make it spicier, or add extra shredded cheese if preferred.
Ingredients Needed For Rotel Chicken
- Shredded Chicken: Chicken should be cooked and finely shredded into small pieces.
- Rotel Tomatoes: Use any brand of diced tomatoes with green chili's
- Green Chili's: Any brand will work! Adds spice to the dish.
- Cream of Cheese soup: Adds cheesiness and creaminess. Look for a low sodium version as a healthier option, or sub with cream of chicken soup if desired.
Let's Make Some Rotel Chicken Casserole!
Mix the shredded, cooked chicken, Rotel, green chili's and cream of cheese soup in a medium mixing bowl. Once mixed, microwave for 90 seconds. This will make the mixture easier to spread.
Start the layering process. Grease a 3 qt casserole dish and layer 2.5 cups of crushed chips on the bottom.
Top with ½ of the chicken mixture. Then, layer with ½ of the shredded cheese.
Add another 2.5 cups of crushed chips, then add the remaining rotel mixture.
Top with any remaining chips (it will not be a full layer).
Bake in the oven, however wait to add cheese until the last 5 minutes to prevent the burning of the cheese. Enjoy!!
Types of Chicken That Can Be Used
This recipe calls for cooked chicken breast. It is recommended that the chicken breast is used, because it is a less fatty cut of meat. The rotel chicken casserole recipe works best with shredded chicken breast, as the shredded chicken easily absorbs the flavors and liquid of the ingredients it is mixed with. It is also possible to use cubed chicken is desired.
Here are multiple ways the cooked chicken can be prepared:
Cubed Chicken: Dice chicken breast into small cubes, about ½ inch wide pieces. Add the chicken to a frying pan with a tsp of olive oil. Cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked.
Crock Pot Chicken: Cook chicken breasts and a cup of water in the crock pot for about 4 hours on high. Remove from crock pot, discard fat and shred.
Instant Pot Chicken: Place in instant pot with 1 cup of water. Cook for 10 minutes and then allow natural steam release for 12 minutes. Shred warm chicken immediately.
Rotisserie Chicken: Remove the skin and bones from a rotisserie chicken. Shred the meat using two forks.
Can I Use Raw Chicken?
The recipe and cooking times were made based on using cooked chicken breast. If short on time and wanting to use raw chicken, cut the chicken into small cubes and prepare as normal. It is likely that the cooking time will increase if using raw chicken. Test the chicken with a meat thermometer and verify that it hits 165F before removing from the oven.
How To Make This Dish Healthier
Consider some of these ideas to make the dish a little bit healthier. If you have picky eaters at home, you can always make modifications to half of the dish for yourself, and leave the other half of the dish as is!
- Add some veggies! Chop veggies into quarter inch pieces and add them into the chicken and rotel mixture. Any type of veggie will work -- carrots, bell peppers, zucchini, squash, tomatoes.
- Leave out the cheese to save some extra calories and fat.
- Only use half of the chips.
- Serve this over a salad to add some extra greens.
Make It Spicier
This casserole does not have much spice to it, and it is perfect for someone who prefers the mild option. Looking to kick the spice level up a notch? Add an extra can of green chili's, top it with some salsa or add some hot sauce to the rotel chicken.
How To Eat Rotel Chicken
Here's some creative ways to eat this rotel chicken casserole. I usually like to eat it as my main entree the first night, and then switch it up when I eat leftovers so that I don't get tired of it.
- Serve the Rotel chicken with rice and a side of veggies
- Eat it as a dip - use chips, veggies or crackers to dip into it
- Make it into a salad- top it on a bed of lettuce or spinach
- Serve the Rotel chicken with spaghetti
- Make it into a wrap- add the Rotel chicken in a tortilla and roll up
The flavor and texture of this can be easily altered based on the toppings. Looking for some extra crunch? Add chips to the top. Want more spice? Top it with salsa or hot sauce.
Here's a full list of topping ideas that can be put on the casserole before serving:
- Salsa (mild or medium based on spice preference)
- Hot Sauce
- Hot Sauce
- Sour Cream
- Extra Cheese
More Delicious Dinner Ideas
- 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 10 oz can Rotel tomatoes
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of cheese soup
- 1 4 oz can green chili's
- 6 cups crushed tortilla chips divided
- 1.5 cups shredded Mexican style cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 3 qt casserole dish with pan spray and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cooked shredded chicken, Rotel tomatoes, green chilis and cream of cheese soup. Mix well until combined.
- Heat the chicken and rotel mixture in the microwave for 90 seconds. Mix well once removed.
- Begin assembling the casserole. Place 2.5 cups of crushed chips evenly in the bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
- Layer ½ of the chicken and rotel mixture over the top of the chips.
- Add ½ of the cheese on top of the rotel mixture.
- Add a second layer of chips by evenly spreading 2.5 cups of crushed chips to the top layer.
- Add remaining rotel/chicken mixture. Top with remaining crushed chips.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes. Remove, sprinkle with remaining cheese and cook for another 5 minutes or until cheese if bubbly. Enjoy!!