Blueberry Acai Protein Smoothie is packed with protein and healthy fruits! This smoothie is sweet, cold and creamy – a refreshing drink to start your morning off with or drink as an on the go snack! This high protein smoothie is gluten free and vegan. It has only 4 ingredients and is easy to customize based on the types of protein and fruits that you prefer.
Reasons To Make This Smoothie
Here’s the top three reasons to make this acai proteinsmoothie today:
- It’s packed with healthy nutrients, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
- The blueberry acai protein smoothie contains protein, which makes it a great post workout snack or meal alternative.
- It takes less than ten minutes to make!
What Is Acai?
Here’s a few quick facts about the Acai Berry (pronounced “Ah-sigh-ee”)
- The Acai berry is a small, round shaped fruit that originates from Brazil and grows on Acai palm trees.
- The Acai berry is higher than calories than most fruits because it contains unsaturated (healthy fats).
- Acai berries have a higher content of antioxidants than other berries
- Acai berries are often noted in the media as a superfood. While there are many claims regarding the health benefits of this berry, it’s important to note that other berries also provide important nutrients and benefits if you do not want to pay the high price for acai berries.
Where Can I Buy Acai?
Fresh Acai Berries have a very short shelf life, so they are not sold in the fresh form in stores.
Acai Berry Puree is the best way to purchase Acai. This can be purchased at your local Walmart or Target- the brand Sambazon sells a popular Acai berry puree.
What Can I Use In Place of the Acai Berry?
It is easy to substitute fruit in place of the Acai berry. Simply double the amount of blueberries used. Or, choose another fruit. Popular favorites include strawberries, kiwi, peaches or mango.
How To Add Protein To A Smoothie
There’s so many ways to add protein to a smoothie. Here’s a few ways:
- Greek Yogurt: use plain or flavored and look for a low fat greek yogurt. Some brands contain up to 17 grams protein per serving.
- Cottage Cheese: add 1/2 cup per serving of smoothie. This will provide around 13 g of protein (note: cottage cheese has a high sodium content if you are watching salt intake)
- Plant Based Protein Powder: Plain or vanilla is recommended.
- Whey Protein Powder: Use plain or vanilla flavored.
- Skim Milk: 1 cup of skim milk provides 8 grams of protein. Substitute the almond milk with skim milk instead.
Can I Meal Prep My Acai Protien Smoothie?
This smoothie is a great option of food to meal prep for breakfast! To meal prep this smoothie, place all ingredients of this smoothie in a blender and refrigerate overnight. Blend the next morning, prior to serving. The frozen fruit will have melted overnight, so add 3-4 pieces of ice if a frosty drink is desired.
What Else Can Be Added To This Smoothie?
It is easy to swap out the ingredients in this smoothie, provided you follow the baseline recipe. Here’s some tips:
Almond Milk: Unsweetened, vanilla almond milk is used in this recipe. Substitute with soy milk, coconut milk, skim milk, 1% milk or even water.
Blueberries & Acai Puree: The two main fruits in this are the blueberry and acai berry. These fruits can be easily substituted. Use bananas in place of berries, or swap out both fruits with peaches/kiwi or pineapple/strawberries. Or, create your own combination!
Greek Yogurt: Nonfat, vanilla yogurt provides an excellent source of calcium and protein in this smoothie. Alternative protein sources include a regular yogurt, whey protein powder, plant-based protein powder or even cottage cheese.
Expert Tips to Make The Best Blueberry Acai Protein Smoothie
- Let the acai puree sit out at room temperature for about 10 minutes so it is easier to blend.
- If the smoothie seems too thick or has difficulty blending, add 1/4 cup of liquid (milk, water, etc..). Blend and continue to add liquid as needed.
- Double the recipe and save the leftovers for later.
Blueberry Acai Protein Smoothie
- 1 package Frozen acai puree (3.5)
- ½ cup Frozen blueberries
- ½ cup Almond milk unsweetened vanilla
- ¾ cup Nonfat greek yogurt vanilla
- Combine acai puree, blueberries, almond milk and greek yogurt in a blender.
- Blend until smoothie (this may take 30 seconds depending on the blender strength).
- Serve cold.