Before I even start on this Healthy Chicken Enchilada Bake, let me tell you how much I love to my crock pot. It is a LIFESAVER. I cooked 4 pounds of chicken breast in it the other weekend, froze it, and was able to use it in these enchiladas. I just pulled it out of the freezer, popped it in the microwave and Boom! I had cooked chicken in no time. (Check out this post on tips for a no-fail method of storing chicken).
Why I Love this Easy Enchilada Casserole
Have you ever had one of those moments where you wonder “What should I cook for dinner tonight?” Story.of.my.life. Seriously, I cannot tell you how many times I’ve come home from work and wondered what I can cook that’s easy to make. And healthy.
That’s why I love this easy chicken enchilada casserole. It requires 5 ingredients, a little mixing and that’s it! They’re almost too easy. Plus, I feel like making actual enchilada’s is tedious. I don’t love having to fill and roll individual tortillas to make enchiladas. I’d much rather combine it all in a pan and be done! Not to mention it’s much less messy. Also, my husband loves them – he was literally asking me to make that ‘cheesy enchilada bake stuff’ the other night. Win-win!
What makes this Enchilada Casserole Healthy?
- They have black beans which are a great source of Fiber. This keeps things running smoothly through your digestive track. It also helps you feel full for longer. Find out more info on fiber from WebMD.
- The avocado is a healthy fat (more on healthy fats here!). This is the best type of fat you want to eat. It helps to keep your body healthy and it great for your brain!
- The chicken is a lean, low-fat source of protein. The protein helps to keep you full for longer period of times and is great for strength!
- The corn tortillas are gluten free, which are great for people who can’t eat wheat. You could also substitute whole wheat tortillas if you are able to tolerate wheat!
How to Make Enchilada Bake
To make this recipe, I started with layering tortillas along the bottom. I used corn tortillas which are a little bit smaller than your normal tortilla, and therefore I did use more tortillas. Simply cut the tortillas in half and layer them along the bottom so that it covered entirely. (You will repeat this pattern for the next several layers).
After this, I start the layering process with the rest of the ingredients–chicken, beans and sauce. I divided the mixture in 1/3rds so that I wouldn’t run out.
Then bake in the oven and you are done! It turned out really well and lasted us several meals, since it’s just my husband and myself. This casserole holds really well in the refrigerator, and tasted just as good the 3rd day as it did the first day!
Healthy Enchilada Bake
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 15 oz can black beans (low salt preferred)
- 12 ounces chicken breasts shredded & cooked
- 1 28 oz can enchilada sauce red
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease an 8×8 pan, set aside.
- Cut all tortillas in half.
- Layer 4 tortillas in the bottom of the pan (8 halves total)
- Spread 1/3 of the enchilada sauce over the tortillas
- Evenly top with 1/3 of the beans, 1/3 of the chicken and 1/3 of the cheese.
- Repeat the beans/chicken/cheese layering 2 more times.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden brown. Enjoy!