These easy blueberry crumble bars don’t require a lot of ingredients. They are super tasty and did not last long in my household!
Has anyone ever been to the blueberry patch? I went to this summer and picked loads of blueberries. Big, fat, juicy, sweet, delicious blueberries. And needless to say, I have more blueberries than I know what to do with. So, naturally I’ve been making blueberry everything. Blueberry cobbler, bars, smoothies, oatmeal—you name it!
Is this Blueberry Crumble Healthy?
Here’s how this recipe was modified to make it a little bit healthier:
- Used whole wheat flour instead of white flour (unless using Gluten Free flour)
- The blueberries are used as a natural sweetener and reduce the amount of sugar need
- This recipe contains oatmeal, which is high in fiber and takes long to digest
Here’s an added bonus: Blueberries are good for you! They have so many amazing health benefits in regards to your brain, heart and health! Plus, they are loaded with vitamins and minerals. They also are an energy boosting food. (Check out this article for more information). Seriously, you can’t go wrong with blueberries.
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 3 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup wheat flour (or gluten free flour)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Spray an 8x8 inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and 1 tsp cinnamon.
- Cut in butter using pastry cutter or fork until it resembles a crumbly mixture.
- Cut in the egg. Combine well.
- Spread flour mixture into bottom of the pan and press firmly into an even layer.
- In medium sized bowl, combine the blueberries, corn starch and sugar. Mix until combined.
- Spread the blueberries over the flour mixture.
- In medium bowl, combine the oatmeal, brown sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon. Combine.
- Spread evenly over the blueberries.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until browned. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Version: Use gluten free flour and gluten free oats.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 211Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 46mgSodium 152mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 2gSugar 12gProtein 2g